Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bonding

If there seems to be one main purpose for an Autism Service Dog, in my opinion, it would be TO BOND. To bond to it's human, it's purpose, it's vehicle to give back all that unfiltered love a dog has inside. To provide that security that an Autistic individual needs that maybe they can not find in their parents or peers.

In the past several months of training, there has been a range of emotions. From happy, to discouragement, to pride, and so on... plenty of overwhelming feelings. It has been tough because you would expect the bond between an autistic child and dog to be automatic, but in my Son's case, it was initially exciting, and then off into his own world - much like his relationship with most children his age (friends that he has had long-term exposure to). While this has been the cause of discouragement, it has also been a challenge for me to persist, and to find the positive message in a negative result. What has been happening outside of my expectations, is a challenge to Avery to utilize his speech, an area he needs improvement, in order to communicate to Porter. When Porter plays too rough, he is challenged to talk to Porter, and Porter responds. Both Avery and Porter have been progressing in this area, and much to my delight they are even playing together now, where Avery is giving commands to sit, drop it (a toy), toss, and then repeat for an extended period. I couldn't be more happy to see them start to really work together without my help. With adversity comes triumph, right?

Avery has also been receiving amazing Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy during his pre-school morning sessions we got him into. That paired with wrap-around care by an amazing friend Patrick and his group of awesome respectful kiddos close to Avery's age have all been helping Avery progress SO MUCH. I think this peer modeling and consistency has really helped him progress the most. He has even been eating VEGETABLES!!!! This is due mostly to the persistence and hard work of our daycare Master Ninja (Patrick). Avery has been talking more and more, even singing, articulating his thoughts, expressing emotions, and following directions. I personally am starting to see the clouds part as I see my Son grow and act like such a great little man. Keep up the good work Son, you have been doing a lot of hard work. Thank you to everyone involved in his daily activities and learning, thank you to all our family and friends, and thank you to those who have contributed in any and every way to make this all possible. I hope this message reaches you with a huge virtual hug and handshake. We love you all, and so does Avery boy.

Please enjoy some phone pictures I managed to snap recently:


This is what I opened the bathroom door to one morning


This is what happens most everyday I pick up Avery in my car with Porter

Avery insists on him and Porter going out to his small patio balcony, or as he calls it "growing", and on this occasion him and Porter were foam dart hunting some squirrels

Mr. Cheesehead in the airport while we wait for Grandma Peggy and Aunty Dano 

 Trying on Grandma's Elmo flip flops


Porter training in the arcade at the waterpark resort we took Grandma Peggy and Aunty Dano.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of how far Avery has come. Thanks to you Dusty for your guidance. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entire blog and photos brings big tears of joy and longing to my eyes! Beautifully written, Dusty! You are so incredible with Avery and he wouldn't be where he is today WITHOUT YOU! Bravo, Little Brother! I am so proud of you! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and miss you guys oodles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, my brudda. If there is anyone I know in this world that has the willingness and patience to overcome adversity by challenging challenges and learning with persistence, it's you. As my friend, it's something that I've always taken notice of and admired. I've seen the passion that you've applied to the smaller things in your life (i.e., the ambition to painstakingly learn software programs like Adobe Creative Suite and Reason at all costs) and how you have used that same passion and energy to enrich the relationship between yourself and Jess.

    Now, that same determination has been amplified and focused onto something - someone - much bigger (smaller?) than yourself and it is obvious that your entire approach as a parent affects not only the future of your family, but that of your little battle bot, especially. You have stepped up to a big plate and you have done it respectfully, responsibly, and humbly and I commend you for it.

    I can only assume that your responsibilities and teachings take just a little more patience and diligence than that of most parents, but know this: those efforts shall not go unnoticed as Avery grows and progresses into the world as a strong individual. You are both giving him the greatest developmental gifts right now - I honestly I wouldn't expect anything less, my brother. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete